Monday, April 6, 2020

So You Want to Be a Runner?

I have a couple of friends who were looking to get into running before the pandemic started. They had struggled getting that first bit of distance: the 5k. Having gone through the same struggles, I was planning to get them out together to help them along.

Of course, there’s no going out together now. But running being a great way to get some time outside during a lockdown, I figured the advice I was going to share with them might be better shared here for anyone who might want to give running a go.

When I first started running, I had a very hard time lasting for any distance. I would set out to run and become winded usually around ten or 15 minutes in and end up walking around for ten minutes trying to catch my breath before going home. Like some friends who had the same problem, I started running for a fixed time instead of trying to achieve distance, which didn’t really lead to any improvement. Months went by and I was still running about the same distance in the same time and never getting more comfortable in that time.

What I was missing was pacing of course. But even knowing this, it can be hard to go out for a run and put it to practice. However, if you learn how to pace yourself on a 5k, I’ve found it’s very easy to adjust those same techniques to longer distances as well. Let me say here that I am no marathon runner--the longest runs I get in are around 10k--and I don’t run some incredible speed (I do a 5k in about 25 minutes on average), so I’m not the person to teach you how to become a great runner. But I think I can help you to become a runner. Greatness will have to be with someone else.

First, make sure you have the right gear. You don’t need to spend a lot, but have comfortable running shoes that you wear for running. If they’re your everyday sneakers, they’re probably too worn out by now and you can really hurt your feet. If you’re like me and you have wide feet, it’s really important to have the right shoes. I can’t wear Nike, Adidas, or Puma at all, even for walking. Mizuno and New Balance are my only options, and they’re great. Other than the shoes, dress cool enough that you won’t be roasting once you heat up, and that you won’t freeze if you run out of gas and need to walk home (as you probably will a few times at least). In winter, I wear Heattech leggings and shorts, a t-shirt, and a thin jacket. I think something like this in early spring can work for a beginner. If you think you might freeze with that, get a track suit, but I’d avoid sweats. In short, you should be cold when you leave the house, you’ll warm up quick once you start moving.

Next, map your run. Don’t go out running around looking at your smartphone to see how much longer you have and meander about until you hit your distance. If you have a map you’ll not only have a sense of how much further you have, but you can run that route every week, helping you improve your pace. On The Go Map (https://onthegomap.com/#/create) is great for this. Put together a route for yourself that will get you out the door and give you a little distance to walk home to cool down (about a 5 minute walk) . Another benefit of doing this, is that you can leave your phone at home. I find running with just my keys and a wristwatch is a great way to unplug.

Now the most important part: keep running. I don’t mean daily or weekly (though get that worked out too) but when you start running, don’t stop until you’ve completed your 5k. Before you think I’m a sadist, the next important part here: run slowly. This was what killed me on all my early runs. I would start running like I was chasing a bus and wind up wheezing and walking in circles to stop from cramping up. When you are going on your first run, imagine someone is holding a door for you a couple feet away, give it that courtesy, shake-a-leg run. If you have to go slower, go slower. Don’t worry about your time, just get the distance in. The only thing is don’t fall into a walk. Of course, when you’re starting you will fall into a walk at times, but there’s ways through that, too.

When you do get winded (and you will) what I find works is to decide on a point ahead where you’ll allow yourself to walk. Say, “When I pass that tree I can walk,” then see if when you make it to that tree if you can’t keep it going a bit more with another point further on. There will be times where you can’t of course, but eventually if you keep trying, you’ll break through that wall and find your energy returning. Honestly, it was running in my 30s that I found out what a second wind really is. If you’ve never experienced it, it’s incredible. I hope you find it out there.

And that’s really all you need. Once you get that full 5k in without walking, start keeping track of your time. Try to maintain your time until you feel you can start pushing it then try to shave a few minutes from it. And if you want to go for longer distances, map one out and start over: again, don’t think time until the distance becomes doable.

Well, hope this was helpful. and gives you something to fill in the days of social distancing. On the plus, running alone (especially when starting) is the best way to get better. Oh, and if you’re starting out and you’re a bit older (like me), try once or twice a week until you get your body used to running. Good luck out there!